OBJECTIVES OF THE INSTITUTE
1. To provide a central organization for Safety Professionals in Nigeria and generally to do such things as may from time be necessary to maintain a strict standard of professional ethics amongst its members and to advance the interest of safety management/engineering profession in Nigeria.
2. To promote, protect, encourage and maintain a high standard of Safety Management/Engineering study and practice and encourage greater efficiency.
3. To represent to the Government in Nigeria the views of the Institute on any subject of concern or interest to Safety Management/Engineering in Nigeria and if considered advisable to join with other bodies in submitting such representation.
4. To represent to any other individual or bodies or organization the views of the Institute on any subject on which the views of the institute may be invited.
5. To provide a body to which the government or other authority or organization in Nigeria can have recourse for advice, assistance or the expression of views on any subjects of concern or interest to Nigeria.
6. To facilitate the development & acquisition of technology by conducting visits to places of Safety Management/Engineering interest, reading technical papers, holding meetings, conferences, seminars, publishing books, journals and periodicals on safety management/engineering matters.
7. To subscribe or guarantee or otherwise use monies of the institute for charitable or benevolent objects or scholarship or bursaries or for any exhibitions for any public, general or useful objects.
8. To provide for the training and examination of students in safety management/engineering as well as the continuing professional update and development of its members.
9. To promote and pursue research in safety science and practice with particular reference to local conditions.
10. To study and resolve professional problems confronting its members.
11. To nominate any member or members as arbitrators, panelist, investigators, auditors, expert witnesses or specialist advisers whenever called upon to do so.
12. To assist needing members and any of the dependent kindred of deceased members, including the widows or widowers of members, and to appoint treasurer and distributor of the benevolent fund or funds which may be contributed by members or others for these purposes or any of them, and subject to the provisions prohibiting payments being made to members, to make any contributions out of the surplus assets or income of the institute from time to time to any benevolent fund or funds.
13. To purchase, hold, lease, let, mortgage, sell, improve or otherwise acquire and dispose of any moveable or immoveable property, any rights or privileges, which may be necessary or convenient for the advancement of any of the object of the institute.
14. To invest and deal with the monies of the institute immediately required in any manner.
15. To borrow money where necessary to promote any objects set out herein upon such securities as may be determined.
16. To apply or petition for any legislation, parliamentary or otherwise that would further any objects of the institute.
17. To do all or any such lawful things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects and generally to further the profession of safety management/engineering in nigeria as well as enhance the status of safety professionals in nigeria. Provided that the institute shall not support with its funds and objects nor endeavour to impose on or procure to be observed by its members or others any regulations, restriction or condition which if an object of the institute, would make it a trade union.
18. To maintain and enhance links with National, International and Multinational Organisations and bodies to promote any of the objects of the Institute.
19. To collaborate with industry, commerce, academia and other such national bodies as may be necessary or convenient for the advancement of any of the objects of the institute.
20. To establish training and consultancy board that shal;l render professional services to public and private bodies including individuals who may desire the institute's advice and service.
21. To promote and enforce a high standard of performance and professional ethics of the institute.
22. To watch over, promote and protect the mutual interest of its members and to give advice to members.